Scrubs- Too good to remake



Season_One_Cast_Promo_2
What makes a great comedy? The jokes? The characters? I believe there are two things that can make or break a comedy, one, it must somehow be relatable, two, it needs to catch you at the right time.
For example, I really did love Friends, I would have loved it more if I was in my late twenties trying to make my way in life. It was not until the final few seasons when I could nearly relate.
Example B, the American Pie films. Now, I was only a couple of years behind the age of the characters, I was not a social outcast but did relate to the film, the sequel came out just before I went to university and the wedding, well I did not get married but it did show some situations of meeting up with people as they have moved on with their lives in their own directions. I love these films, now it is about nostalgia but I was sitting in the cinema waiting for American Pie the Reunion and I loved it once again. These films were relatable and they caught me at the right time.
As I mentioned, I was slightly behind the Friends when it came to being relatable but another comedy series really did catch me, that was Scrubs.
It was relatable because it was about a young person trying to find his way in life, it caught me at the right time because I had some big decisions in life to make my own.
Last month I decided it was time to re-watch Scrubs, I use to own them on DVD but through my travels they had slowly gone missing. To make things even worse, they are not on any sort of catch up in the UK. I have Netflix, I have Sky and they were not on either. Even looking to see if it was worth the Amazon Prime free trial, they were not on that….but I do need to watch season two of Man in the High Castle…watch it now, thank me later.
Saw I looked on eBay, nothing worth buying it so I had to use my good friend Amazon to buy them.
Scrubs is an all-round amazing show; I think it paved the way for How I met your mother with its mix of reality and realism. Following Doctor JD through his life at Sacred Heart was a fantastic and hilarious journey, especially because of the amazing cast of supporting characters. It is one of those shows where your favourite character changes week in week out. Mine always changed between Doctor Cox, the Janitor, Ted and in the later series Doctor Kelso.
For me I followed JD’s story but it was the fun of the show that made me stay. It introduced me to embracing my bro-mances with my best friends, I even bought one of the Tiki necklaces for my friend and Tim and I.

Watching it back now, I can see a show that is not even that old, is now dated but is still brilliant, I laugh at the same places I laughed before, I get sad at the deaths and re-watching it, I realise something new, JD is a bit of a dick, like, he got Elliot to dump her boyfriend for him and then kicked her to the curb, come on JD, I use to root for you.
The show does have some rough patches, season one is not that funny, like many shows, they try and play it safe due to the ruthless nature of axing American shows. By season four, it was unstoppable. Season four and five was its peak but it was still great after that. Of course, I do not include the medical school series, it was not that bad but it should just be left alone.
Zach Braff and Donald Faison are still one of my favourite television duos. Scrubs is amazing and if you have never seen it before, watch it, power through the first season and then sit back and enjoy. If you have seen it, watch it again. It is so good.
Here is Guy Love, to sing you out.



Comments

Popular Posts